There’s never a wrong time to come the Finger Lakes—and we’re here year-round—but there are some special events that you might want to see. Plus, there are some special charters and tours that you can schedule to coincide with your visit.
LOCAL EVENTS AND FESTIVALS
- Ithaca Farmers Market, every Saturday and Sunday from April to October: This is one of the largest markets in the Finger Lakes.
- Trumansburg Farmers' Market, Wednesdays 4-7 p.m. from May to October: While smaller than Ithaca, the market is packed with fresh produce and live music.
- Ithaca Festival, first weekend of June: This weekend music and arts festival features over 1,000 talented local musicians, painters, dancers, and artists.
- Sterling Renaissance Festival, about mid-July to mid-August: Grab a turkey leg and immerse yourself in Elizabethan fun by watching a joust or a theatre production.
- Finger Lakes Wine Festival, second weekend in July: Immerse yourself in the wine culture of the Finger Lakes with plenty of cheese and wine tastings.
- GrassRoots Festival of Music & Dance, about mid-July: This music fest brings the best of world music to the Finger Lakes.
- The Grapehound Wine Tour, late July: This festival celebrates greyhounds and other sighthounds, as well as wine. It’s a great weekend for dog lovers.
- Finger Lakes Cheese Festival, late July: Celebrate cheese in all its glorious forms, especially those created in the Finger Lakes.
- Empire Farm Days, early August: This festival is showcases the best equipment, techniques, and information for farmers, with exhibits, demos, and other activities.
- Pickin' in the Pasture, late August: Enjoy world class bluegrass music in nearby Lodi, while enjoying the local wine and food.
- Watkins Glen International, events throughout the summer: Racing enthusiasts will find tons of opportunities for excitement at this racetrack in nearby Watkins Glen.
- New York State Fair, late August: The NY State Fair in Syracuse attracts world class musical entertainment and great food, including a food truck competition.
CHARTERS AND TOURS
- Boat Rentals - You can rent power boats on Seneca Lake at Glen Harbor Marina in Watkins Glen, at Roy's Marina in Geneva, or at Stiver's Seneca Marina in Waterloo. You can rent canoes and kayaks from Fuzzy Guppies in Waterloo on the Seneca-Cayuga Canal, or at Puddledockers Kayak Shop in Ithaca.
- Sightseeing Cruise - There are plenty of options leaving from Watkins Glen, but Stroller IV at Captain Bills is a one-of-a-kind antique and Seneca Sailing Adventures offers a unique sailing experience.
- Dinner Cruises - We recommend Midlakes Navigation’s boat tours of Skaneateles Lake and the quaint village.
- Fishing Charters - Finger Lakes Angling Zone offers a number of fishing tour options including casting and fly-casting for a number of local species.
- Wine Tours - There are a number of great limo and party bus services, but if you’re looking for something special, Water to Wine Tours offers a number of different wine cruises and boat tours on Cayuga Lake.
- Horseback Riding - D & K Ranch and Painted Bar Stables can arrange horseback trail rides through the Finger Lakes National Forest.
- Ziplines & Outdoor Adventures - Bristol Mountain Aerial Adventures offers challenge courses with ziplines, tightrope walks, rope ladders, and bridges. Greek Peak Outdoor Adventure Center has a mountain coaster, zipline tours, an aerial challenge course, euro bungee, laser tag, tubing and more. And in the winter, both are also ski resorts.
- Hot Air Balloon Ride - Liberty Balloon Company launches from lots of local spots including right here at Mill Creek Cabins.
- Skydiving - Harris Hill Soaring Center in Elmira offers glider rides, and Finger Lakes Skydivers does tandem skydives in Ovid.